Talk about ...

Moderator: [Security]

Stryfe
Still a NewBee
Still a NewBee

VISTA...AAARRRGGGHHH!!

Post by Stryfe »

Hi All,
My years of computing have given me much experience in their use, however, I simply CANNOT get the mod to install fully with this stupid operating system! :( A small team of us have joined your server in the last days but I am stuck!

* FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I TAKE UP GARDENING OR BOOK READING*

I reach the very of the installation where you pick `bloom` (also tried without) and change every option to try for success but get `error..cannot delete output file` and a list of file names...

My install is fully clean in the Freelancer and the mod manager at each new attempt. This is probably a simple error on my part and I will fly ingame forever with an "I`m STUPID" on my ship if only someone could suggest a fix.

Thanks - Stryfey
Schmackbolzen
Mod Programmer / Server Maintenance

Re: VISTA...AAARRRGGGHHH!!

Post by Schmackbolzen »

This could be due to an error which is still in the modoptions (sry we are still in beta stage :/). Try running Freelancer once (just to get into the menu) then exit and open the modoptions again. They should work now since Freelancer now created the configuration file. Installation should be ok, since the modoptions are the last part which gets executed.

Another trick is not to install to c:\program files\..., since Vista/win7 seems on some systems not to correctly set the file permissions. You can either check whether creator/owner (loosely translated) has full permissions in all files and folders of the installation or as mentioned just install it somewhere else, since then they should be correctly set.

I am just wild guessing here, maybe one of those two does the trick. If not, just ask again ;)
Enter password to view signature: _
Stryfe
Still a NewBee
Still a NewBee

Post by Stryfe »

Hi,
Thanks for that. I tried installing to the desktop also and got online but the install was bad and Im kicked :oops: Not to woory I will move the pc`s around in the next days and good old XP will reign supreme once more :D

Thanks - Stryfey

PS :mrgreen: MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm...Begonias or roses......
Firedragon
Experienced Player
Experienced Player

Post by Firedragon »

Oi - what's wrong with being a gardener ?????
Nasturtiums are much nicer ;-))

FD
Stryfe
Still a NewBee
Still a NewBee

Post by Stryfe »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZqAjUSu54

Well...I am English and a Sith Lord...
Schmackbolzen

Post by Schmackbolzen »

Stryfe wrote:Hi,
Thanks for that. I tried installing to the desktop also and got online but the install was bad and Im kicked :oops: Not to woory I will move the pc`s around in the next days and good old XP will reign supreme once more :D

Thanks - Stryfey

PS :mrgreen: MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm...Begonias or roses......
You don't need to do that. You actually have hit all of the problems the installation of the beta still has at once:

On some systems, moving the files after downloading does not work (yet). You have to move them manually from (Your installation)\EXE\temp to (Your installation)\EXE\. After that everything should work.
Stryfe
Still a NewBee
Still a NewBee

Post by Stryfe »

Hi Again,
Thanks for the tips but the fix was:

When installing to desktop both freelancer and the mod manager it works fine, but you have to run the `Freelancer` icon in the MOD directory (how obvious now!!) not the one on the desktop!!

Thanks for the help

DS
Schmackbolzen

Post by Schmackbolzen »

Well there should be the correct shortcut on the desktop / start menu somewhere, at least if you selected it in the installer ;) And you don't need the modmanager (at least for NU).
Firedragon
Experienced Player
Experienced Player

Post by Firedragon »

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZqAjUSu54

Well...I am English and a Sith Lord..."

Love the vid :-) Ahh if only it was that easy, lol.
Hmm I am English, but kill Sith very regularly !!